Bembridge was the eastern most station on the Isle of Wight located some two and three quarter miles north east of Brading Junction. The line opened in 1882 and was closed in 1953 due to declining traffic. In the 1920’s with the introduction of the Adams O2 Class tanks the sector plate was increased in size from 16’,5’’ to 25’ to accommodate the longer wheelbase engines. In 1935 the Southern Railway decided to make the line one train working so there was no need for signals. The signal box is effectively a ground frame and was operated by the fireman to allow the engine to run round its train.
The line was mainly operated with the Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T, Terriers and later the O2’s; this also included a push pull operation. During any quiet period of the day the duty engine would leave its train at Brading or Bembridge and perform shunting duties at St Helens Quay. Coal wagons would also be propelled from St Helens to the coal siding. The long siding was used to store rolling stock when no other space was available locally.